You save over 30 calories and 9 grams of fat when you bake versus fry, plus you save even more when you pair your falafel with a fresh salad instead of a pita. Top your salad with homemade tzatziki or your favorite dressing for a healthy, easy Middle Eastern dinner recipe.
Easy baked falafel salad
Serves about 4
- 1 (15 ounce) can chick peas, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups mixed greens
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking dish with oil and set aside.
- Place chickpeas, onion, garlic, flour, crushed red pepper, cumin, baking powder and salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse on low until mixture makes a thick paste. Shape paste into Ping-Pong size balls and place in the greased baking dish.
- Bake balls for about 25-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve balls on top of mixed greens and top with dressing!