Each bite of these bars will have you seeing nirvana, we're sure of it. A pan of these bars is the perfect dessert to bring to your folks or in-laws on Thanksgiving, especially if you want to shut them up (and prevent them from nagging). But trust us, these are so good they probably won't make it out the door.
Gooey apple caramel pecan bars
Yields about 12 bars
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, colder
- 2 cups chopped apples (about 2 large Granny Smith)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 egg slightly beaten
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- About 1/3 cup homemade caramel sauce
- Sea salt for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugars and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry knife until mixture resembles sand. Stir in the apples and egg, and mix until just combined. Pour the mixture into the pan and press down. Bake until fully cooked, about 25 minutes.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Return to the oven and bake another 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt. Let chill at least 45 minutes and enjoy!