Spinach and artichoke risotto
Serves about 8
Cheese, rice, artichokes and spinach, what more could you want? This risotto is slow cooked on the stove until the rice literally melts in your mouth. After just a few bites of this, you'll find yourself saying "spinach and artichoke dip what?"
- 1-1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 small shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 box of frozen spinach
- 14 ounces (1 can) of artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- Liberal dashes of salt and pepper
- Defrost the spinach and set it aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and shallots and cook until fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the rice, salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add in the wine and cook it until it evaporates. Gradually add in the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing the broth to get absorbed into the rice after each addition. Once all the broth has been added, stir in the defrosted spinach and chopped artichoke hearts. Cook another 5 - 10 minutes, or until the rice is soft and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Add the salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!