Mediterranean pasta recipe
Serves 4 to 6
Inspired by the traditional diets and ingredients of the Mediterranean region, the aptly named Mediterranean Diet refers to an eating plan that is rich in fruits and vegetables, dairy products, nuts and legumes -- with fish and poultry as the main sources of protein. Olive oil is recommended as the main source of good fats. Adherence to this kind of lifestyle has been proven to reduce cardiovascular disease.
This pasta recipe is the Mediterranean diet in a bowl. With whole wheat pasta, vegetables, nuts, cheese and olive oil, it's a healthy and delicious weeknight meal that the whole family is sure to enjoy.
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Handful of fresh mint, chopped
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Put the olive oil in a pot over medium heat and add the onions, pepper and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the pine nuts and toast.
- Add the reserved pasta, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and stir thoroughly.
- Add the mint and feta and season with salt and pepper. Mix and serve.