Somewhere between a muffin, bread and cake, scones are tasty treats that work well even without icing (but they also taste great with fruit jam spread on them). If you want to change the ingredients up a bit add almonds or walnuts -- or swap the ginger for cinnamon or nutmeg. These are perfect with coffee, tea or a big glass of milk.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (6 ounce) container of lemon yogurt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Blend together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in the ginger and lemon zest.
- Use a pastry blender to cut in the butter into the flour mixture until it's crumbly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg and yogurt. Gradually stir this into the flour mixture until it's well blended.
- Lightly flour a work surface and lightly knead the dough, pressing and folding it several times. Pat it into a disk that's about 6 inches in diameter.
- Cut the disk into eight wedges and place on the baking sheet so there is about 2 inches between each.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the scones are golden. When you take them from the oven, carefully move them to a wire rack to cool.
Scones are a great dessert whether you're hosting an afternoon tea or looking for a treat to go with your morning coffee.