Add some festive Easter flair to the cakes by decorating them to look like carrots, eggs or even rabbits! These are even cuter served in small pastel cupcake wrappers.
Delicious petit fours
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 2/3 cup milk or buttermilk
- 3 egg whites
For the glaze:
- About 2 pounds confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup milk or water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Drops of food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a 9-inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until a peak forms.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add in vanilla. Slowly add the flour, baking powder and salt to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk, ending with the flour. Carefully fold in egg whites and mix until fully combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepare cake pan and bake for at least 20 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cake cool on a wire cooling rack for at least 10 minutes.
- While cake cools, prepare glaze by mixing the sugar, water or milk and vanilla. Separate into two bowls. Add food coloring to both bowls to get pretty pastel colors (like pink or blue).
- Once cooled, cut cake into 1-1/4 inch cubes and place on a wire rack over a deep jelly roll pan. Using a brush or spoon, carefully pour glaze over the cakes to completely cover the top and sides. Let excess drip off.
- Place cakes in the fridge to set for at least 30 minutes. Decorate with gel icing, frosting or sprinkles and enjoy!