These pie cupcakes have the exact same texture and flavor of apple pie, just prepared like a cake! Serve with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and crispy apple slices and you have the perfect alternative to your holiday favorite. In addition, these cupcakes are made with amaretto, which give them a delicious aftertaste of almond. And who doesn't love a boozy cupcake?
Amaretto apple pie cupcakes
Yields 12 cupcakes
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup amaretto
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, finely chopped
- Whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin pan with cooking spray or place down paper cups. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix applesauce and brown sugar together. Add egg, amaretto and almond extract.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together. Add flour mixture to the applesauce mixture gradually, mixing between each addition. Stir in apples.
- Pour mixture into each muffin cavity, filling about 2/3 way full. Bake muffins at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Place cupcakes on a wire cooling rack.
- Once cupcakes have cooled completely frost or add a dollop of whipped cream to the center and garnish with fresh apple.