Light and healthy stuffed chicken breasts
Stuffed chicken breasts are delicious! Filled with cream cheese, herbs and spices, they are (normally) anything but light or healthy. However, if you are trying to lose some weight (but still crave stuffed chicken) have no fear -- there is a light and healthy version with all the flavor and far less fat. Try it out and see if it doesn't comfort your belly and your soul like the original.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package 1/3 reduce fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons mozzarella*
- 3 sundried tomatoes, sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme, stems removed
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Butcher's twine
*You can use low-fat mozzarella, but it doesn't melt right as this particular cheese was added to aid in the melting process. If you are worried about the calories or fat, you can omit it.
- Sauté the peppers for the stuffing. Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a skillet and let it get hot over medium-high heat. When hot, add the peppers with a healthy pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft, about 12 minutes.
- When the peppers are done, set them aside. When they cool, dice them finely and put them in a bowl with the cream cheese, mozzarella, sundried tomatoes and thyme. Mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- With a very sharp knife, butterfly the chicken breasts. To do this, place the chicken on a cutting board and gently apply pressure to the top of the breast with your hand. Find a place about halfway between the cutting board and your fingers. Make an incision with a very sharp knife that almost cuts the breast into two. Leave just enough chicken so that you can open it up like a book.
- Put 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture in the middle of the chicken, then fold the chicken back over. Tie with twine. Repeat for the other three breasts.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet and get it hot over medium-high heat. Sauté the chicken 3 minutes on each side and then cook them for 16-18 minutes in the oven or until done.