How to store and cook with butter.
Professional chefs and bakers agree there is no substitute for the flavor and performance of real butter for cooking and baking. For the best tasting results this holiday season, follow these helpful tips when using butter:
Keep it Fresh
- Store butter in its original packaging or in a tightly covered container in the coldest part of the refrigerator, not on the refrigerator door shelves.
- Keep butter away from foods with strong odors or distinct flavors.
- Butter can be frozen in its original container for up to four months from the time of purchase.
- To protect the flavor of butter, wrap the container in aluminum foil or in an airtight plastic freezer bag before freezing. Once butter is thawed, it should be used within 30 days.
- Salted butter can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 months and in the freezer for 6 to 9 months.
- Unsalted butter can be stored for up to 2 weeks refrigerated and frozen for up to 5 months.